Dr. Anthony James DM(P), ND, MD(AM), SMOKH
Director of Education at The Thai Yoga Center and The SomaVeda™ Institute of Natural Healing
SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga Supported Shoulder Stand (Salamba Sarvangasana).
Here are some key points of the SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga Supported Shoulder Stand (Salamba Sarvangasana) and discusses fundamental principles for facilitation that emphasize proper shoulder position. This traditional Thai Yoga/ Thai Massage posture brings the benefits of a safe and controlled inversion to the client.
The shoulder stand is a classic Yoga Asana that is said to balance all of the Chakras. According to classic Indian yogic texts, shoulder stand, performed in sequence every day with a forward bend, a back bend, and a twisting pose will allow the Yogi to achieve the full natural term of his/her life.
Inversions are counter poses to the normal postures we find ourselves in 99% of life. There are several distinctive reasons why everyone should do inverted postures as a regular part of their Yoga wellness practice.
- – Help regulate blood pressure
- – Bring oxygen and blood supply to the viscera, endocrine glands and brain.
- – Release strain on abdominal ligaments.
- – Release tension around the Shoulder Blades ( Scapulae).
- – Focus Prana into the upper chest, neck and head drawing energy to 5th and 6th Chakras.
- – Relieve lower back pain.
- – Relieve neck and shoulder pain
- – Relieve trigger point induced headaches.
- – Support healthy bowel function.
- – Support detox.
- – Balances the Prana Nadi and Meridian Energies.
- – Grounds and Centers while helping support a healthy alignment of the spine.
Metabolic waste tends to aggregate in the interstitial fluid and deposits according to gravity’s pull on the body. When we invert, we expose these pockets of toxic build-up to different fluid dynamics, which help to flush the interstitial reservoirs. The accumulated waste such as lactic and uric acid salts then dissolve and go back into solution making them available for evacuation and elimination from the body.
Many people note that after they do an inversion they experience feelings of happiness and euphoria. We attribute this to an increase in neurotransmitters triggered by the posture. In other words being upside down can make you happy!
SomaVeda™ Integrated Traditional Therapies are a spiritual, energetic and competency based therapeutic healing system or Spiritual Medicine (See: What is SomaVeda™?). In the SomaVeda™ system there are over 1000 different therapeutic postures used commonly. SomaVeda™ is a complete holistic system on Natural Medicine.